G. Michael Hopf
Author page: http://www.gmichaelhopf.com/
Where to purchase his books: https://www.amazon.com/G.-Michael-Hopf/
1) Why write post apocalypse when other genre’s pay more? It’s simple. I write what I read. I’ve love this genre and read it way before I ever decided to write.
2) What post apocalyptic scenario keeps you awake at night? Pandemics.
3) Best piece of advice for anyone wanting to jump into the industry? If they want to be a writer full time, treat it like a business.
4) If you were a crayon in a box of Crayola’s, what color would you be and why? As a Marine, and those who know Marines, know we ‘love’ crayons; I’d say my favorite color is red, why? Because it tastes the best. (See comment above. Inside Marine joke.)
5) Who are your “go to” authors? A. American and Nicholas Sansbury Smith
6) The craft of writing….
a) Why? Because I wanted a story like mine but hadn’t found it yet, so I decided to write it.
b) When did you get started? In 2013
c) Your favorite genre? Post-apoc and military science fiction
7) Describe the perfect adventure. Traveling to a foreign land and hiking the back country.
8) What literary adventures have you taken for research?
9) What was your first guilty pleasure after you got your first check? When I got my first advance check from Penguin/Random House and went and bought a brand new car.
10) Who is your favorite character that you have created, and why? I have two, Gordon Van Zandt and Lexi. Both represent strong willed and determined people who are willing to make tough decisions. They aren’t perfect and make mistakes but are wise enough to learn from their mistakes.
11) What are you working on now? DRIVER 8.
12) Tell me one thing you hope I DONT ask you when we go live? I could care less. I’m an ‘open’ book.
13) Anything you would like to say to your readers and fans? My readers are the best. I stay in contact with them daily through social media. They have stuck with me from the beginning and I owe everything to them. A huge thank you to them all.
14) Do you have any hidden or uncommon talents? I’m very good at hacky sack; like almost pro level good.
15) What would the main character in your book have to say about you? They’d love me and if they didn’t, I’d kill them off.
16) If you could have been the author of any book ever written, which book would you choose? I’m a Hemingway fanatic, I just love his books, he was the real deal; so I’d pick For Whom The Bell Tolls.
17) If your books make it to screen, who do you want to play your favorite character? For Gordon I’d love to see Sullivan Stapelton, he’s the right age, but more importantly he’s got the physicality and isn’t so well known he’d be type cast going into the role.
18) What do you think is the future of reading/writing? How people consume books is changing, I believe the physical book will be gone in a couple generations. Audio book consumption will increase as well and eat away at the physical book market. In our genre specifically, we’re becoming the ‘romance’ genre in that I see every cover looks like every other one and the content is very much the same. One EMP book now reads like the ten others that just came out a week before etc. I’m not sure where my genre will go but there’s a new breed of ‘writer’, and I use that title loosely that has invaded the post-apocalyptic genre and are mass producing copy cat books of older books. They’re not even writers, they’re more ghost writers with one objective of gaming the system. Lost is the writer wanting to deliver quality and original content. Like I said, we’re fast becoming the romantic comedy genre. Once you’ve seen one romantic comedy, you’ve seen them all.
19) If you were a professional wrestler, what would your ring name be and why? Buck Wild <~ BET THERE’S A STORY HERE!
20) You have to wear a t-shirt with one word on it for the rest of your life. Which word do you choose? LIVE
Other books by G. Michael Hopf!